Industry: Financial Services
Employment type: Full-time
Location: Hedge End, Southampton, Hampshire
Job function: Database Administrator
Salary: Up to £55,000
NetPay has an exciting opportunity for a Database Administrator to join their team based in Hedge End, Southampton. You will work on a full-time permanent basis and will receive a highly competitive salary of up to £55,000 per annum.
The Database Administrator Role
As the Database Administrator working in the Infrastructure Team you will thrive on delivering scalable performant database platforms underpinning our enterprise services in a dynamic and fast-moving engineering environment.
You will play a key role in developing and improving the existing database platforms and infrastructure. This is vital work as these services now serve merchants in 16 countries with the platform currently in the process of expanding to 35. technologi’s Revolution platform also manages nearly 40% of all UK merchant account applications.
You will live and breathe rdbms in a mixed public/private cloud environment, with a relentless drive to deliver ever greater performance and reliability.
As a Database Administrator you will:
- Be accountable for the implementation, performance, scalability and monitoring of our database platforms and infrastructure.
- Own the delivery of robust, scalable, performant database services in an agile engineering environment.
- Build effective, productive relationships with technologi’s development and infrastructure teams to ensure services can be transitioned into production in a planned, orderly and consistent manner to defined standards and key performance indicators.
- Work with the Head of Infrastructure to ensure accurate forecasting and reporting of project progress.
- Ensure problems/issues are solved in a timely and satisfactory manner.
- Understand and proactively plan software and infrastructure over a period of 3-5 years to meet both technical and business needs.
- Manage project activity and balance this with support and administration tasks.
- Monitor database efficiency and manage parameters to ensure optimum performance of our services.
- Control access permissions and privileges to the databases.
As a Database Administrator you will need the following:
- Superb interpersonal communication skills and attention to detail
- Vision, drive and passion - someone who’s prepared to get the job done, no matter what it takes and reap the rewards
- Any knowledge of Apache, Nginx, Terraform, Kubernetes, Jenkins, Gitlab, Python, Java, PHP, Galera, MariaDB, MongoDB, Redis, OSPF or BGP would be considered a huge plus for any potential candidate
- Highly analytical mindset, able to debug complex database performance issues
- Excellent Linux administration skills (Ubuntu and CentOS/RHEL are preferable)
- Excellent networking and security background
- Good understanding of the TCP/IP stack
- Good familiarity with version control systems like Subversion/Git
- Good knowledge of scripting in the Linux platform
- Substantial experience working in database roles
- Experience in migration between database versions
- Upgrade lifecycle management
- Capacity management planning
- Database roadmap planning
- A good understanding of MariaDB, MySQL, Galera and MongoDB
- Detailed knowledge of Database replication
- Database indexing, index management and performance tuning
- Strong skills in PSQL and knowledge of SQL
- Extensive skills in backup, restoration, performance tuning, database monitoring and security
As a Database Administrator you will need the following competencies and behaviours:
- Accountability – Takes ownership to get the job done and deliver upon the objectives and goals of the business.
- Problem Solving and Analysis – Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis is required.
- Teamwork and Collaboration – High sense of ownership and urgency. Works well within a team environment.
- Customer Focus – Makes and meets internal customer commitments understanding that their requirements are what drive those of the business.
- Motivation – Self-motivated to go beyond the standard day to day workload to deliver the best result for the business.
If you feel you are the right candidate for our Database Administrator role then please click ‘apply’ now! We’d love to hear from you!